In 1895, the Spring Valley Water Company (predecessor of the San Francisco Water Department) constructed a house for its resident manager near the present-day intersection of Broadway and Magnolia Avenue in Millbrae. In the early 1980's, the building was slated for demolition in order to make way for the Green Hills Retirement Center.
The Millbrae Historical Society stepped up to the plate and saved the 90 year-old house by rasing the funds to have it moved one-half mile through downtown Millbrae to a City-owned parcel across from the Millbrae Library. The house was then meticulously restored to its original as-built condition and decorated with period furnishings and historical exhibits. The Society's volunteers worked together with a cadre of businesses that donated labor and materials to perform the restoration work. This wonderful building is now home to the Society's Millbrae History Museum.